Select grade below

Round 14 Match Report: East Perth vs Subiaco

Monday, July 8, 2024 - 3:27 PM

East Perth vs Subiaco Match Report
by Liam Maher

A game between the co-tenants of Sullivan Logistics Oval is always anticipated to be a close fixture, and this weekend’s game was no exception. East Perth proved to be the better team on the day, holding off a fast-finishing Subiaco to secure another close win: East Perth (11.12 – 78) to Subiaco (11.9 – 75).

The game began between the arcs as each team adjusted to the windy conditions. East Perth looked to play an aggressive style of play in attack and defense. The Royals persisted with their fast-paced attack and worked the ball up the wings. Defensively, they implemented a full-ground press, making it hard for Subiaco to move the ball out of the back half.

As the quarter progressed, East Perth gained more composure on the ball and found targets inside 50. With an inside 50 advantage of 17 to six for the quarter, the Royals took their chances in front of goal to open a 20-point lead at quarter time (4.3 – 27 to 1.1 – 7). Angus Schumacher was dominant early on, finding plenty of footy, creating opportunities for his teammates, and even slotting a goal of his own. Tom Medhat also started strongly, taking a couple of contested marks and kicking two first-quarter goals.

The game changed in the second quarter. East Perth was now kicking against the wind, and this changed their game style. The Royals found it difficult to move the ball in testing conditions. Their defensive pressure was still high, making it difficult for Subiaco to take full advantage of the weather. Intercept marking was a key feature of East Perth’s first-half performance, using this to regularly shut down Subiaco’s attacking play.

Towards the end of the quarter, a momentum shift was evident as East Perth stalled, and Subiaco looked to capitalize. Inaccuracy in front of goal in the quarter left Subiaco with a chance to reduce the Royals’ lead. East Perth conceded a couple of late goals in the quarter to let their opponents back into the contest. The margin at halftime was two points (5.6 – 36 to 5.4 – 34).

Mitch Crowden stepped up in the second quarter, kicking the team’s only goal and collecting 9 possessions along the way. Corey Watts was fantastic in defense across the first half but picked up an injury and did not return for the second half.

The second half started more in favor of East Perth as they were now kicking with the wind instead of against it. The Royals took advantage of this to get deep forward 50 entries and give their forwards plenty of opportunities to score. East Perth converted half of their inside 50s into scores in the third quarter. This attacking game style helped re-establish the Royals’ lead heading into the final quarter with scores at 9.9 – 63 to 7.5 – 47.

East Perth’s running game looked good throughout the third quarter, but it was their tackling pressure that was most impressive. At stoppages, Subiaco looked to be physical to win the ball, but the Royals matched it. At times across the season, East Perth have found it difficult to respond to this game style, but this quarter they matched it. A tackle count of 18 to 17 for the term showed the effort and intensity both teams played with. It was no surprise that Christian Ameduri led the team for tackles with 3 in the quarter. His move to midfield in recent weeks has seen the captain lead his team through courageous efforts. Another positional switch that proved effective was Zac Hill going down back. With Corey Watts going off with an injury, Hill seamlessly slotted into the Royals’ defense as his aerial ability was on full display.

The game was far from finished as the final quarter started. Both teams looked to attack early in the quarter before the rain set in. Once the rain started, the game was played in classic wet weather footy style. East Perth adapted well to the conditions to start with as they pushed the ball forward at all costs and created the better scoring chances. Shayne Hille kicked a goal midway through the term to give the Royals a 23-point lead, which looked to be enough as the rain wasn’t going away.

East Perth looked to be in control of the game, but Subiaco fought back, going on to score the next three goals of the game. A game-winning defensive play by Kye Willcocks proved to be the difference in the end as the Royals held on to secure the win by three points. A close finish again, but the Royals keep finding ways to win games.

Angus Schumacher played one of his best games for the season with stats of 30 disposals, eight marks, five tackles, and two goals. His contested ball work and his ability to create chances at goal for his team proved pivotal in securing victory for the Royals. Fellow midfielders Mitch Crowden (32 disposals, nine tackles, two goals) and Michael Randall (26 disposals, five marks) were both among the best on the day. Tom Medhat (12 disposals, six marks, three goals) was also fantastic all day up forward, kicking crucial goals to help lead East Perth to victory.

East Perth sits a game clear in second spot on the ladder heading into their bye this week. The Royals will have their sights set on securing a final spot as they look to welcome back several key players from injury in the back end of the season. The next East Perth game is Saturday, the 20th of July, against Perth at Sullivan Logistics Oval at 2:30 pm. Get down to the game to support the black and blue in another big fixture.